Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The MET's Fashion Dialogue between Prada & Schiaparelli

I don't know how anyone felt about putting Tupac on stage, posthumously, but I thought it was CREEPY! So what do I think of constructing a conversation  between Miuccia Prada and Elsa Schiaparelli who passed away in '73? MAGNIFICO! BRAVA! The pairing of these two fashionistas in an ongoing dialogue is nothing short of genius.  This exhibit reminded me of the MOMA's pairing of the works of Picasso & Matisse, who both admired & envied each other but said they would be lost without having the other to discuss art with.  Prada was quoted as saying "there are so few people she can discuss fashion with." The film of Prada & Schiaparelli (played by Judy Davis,) using strictly their own words was incredible.  I haven't even lauded their designs: clothing, shoes, or hats yet.  The curators for this exhibit should be awarded the... (I don't know, what do they give curators?)  Because this exhibit TOPS the McQueen Exhibit which had me doing a 3 peat.  I am definitely coming back at least 2 more times.  The pairing of both their designs makes for a hybrid of a fashion experience.  Schiaparelli said "designing is to me not a profession but an art."  Prada said, "designing is creative, but it is not an art.  Maybe nothing is art."  I side with Schiaparelli but admire both their designs & the entire exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think