Wednesday, May 9, 2012

John Chamberlain: Choices @ the Guggenheim

I came to this exhibit as a lover of John Chamberlain's  seminole "car crash" sculptures, so I knew I wouldn't come away disappointed.  I left an even greater admirer for the scope and scale of his creations.  Frank Lloyd Wright's design is famous for its originality and for its ability to enhance the viewers experience. As soon as you enter the museum, there is a mammoth sculpture which is both whimsical and daunting.  The walk up (or down) permits one to walk around many of his sculptures while leaving some of the wall spaces stark.  Chamberlain's work lends itself to a quandary of emotions.  The main material the artist works from comes from the detritus of mangled car metals.  The parts are turned into sculptures reminiscent of destruction yet joyous and vibrant.  Whether you find Chamberlain's work macabre or beautiful, I urge you to view this exhibit for yourselves before it leaves and be prepared to be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think