Sunday, May 13, 2012

Jazz @ Lincoln Ctr - New Orleans Piano Kings

I took my own good recommendation on Jazz @ Lincoln Ctr. that I decided to attend another performance.  Last night in the Allen Room i.e. the room with a view of Columbus Circle & Central Park, royalty came to play to a packed house.  Ellis Marsalis, patriarch of the Marsalis Family: Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo & Jason.  The jazz ensemble consisted of Ellis Marsalis, Henry Butler & Jonathan Batiste all on piano and Reginald Veal on bass & Herlin Riley on drums.  Mr. Ellis was the elder statesman of the all New Orleans band, but the weakest of the 3 pianist.  Granted he is pushing 80, and a jazz legend.  I would definitely go to hear both Batiste and Butler play again, they really tinkled the ivories. My favorite piece was a T. Monk composition and the entire ensemble played "Going to the Mardis Gras to close out the set.  I have another good recommendation that I will follow: looking at my tickets earlier in the day, the starting time was for 7:30PM not 8:00PM, which is an awful feeling when you're just leaving at 7:30PM & just then looking at your tickets.  Yep, we missed the 1st number & had to wait outside (watching the performance on a monitor) before we could enter the theatre.  And, in the words of the late great Marvin Gaye, "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think