Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Dark Shadows" - the Movie

The movie takes place in 1972 (after a short stint in the early 17th C,) the same year my girlfriends and I would come home from school & tune into the soap opera, "Dark Shadows," on which Tim Burton based his new film starring the irreplaceable Johnny Depp.  Of course, our parents who weren't home when we got home from school made us swear never to watch the show, which only enhanced its bizarre appeal.  Nothing much happened in the show and it never made a lot of sense, however, every now and then Barnabas Collins would take a very sexy bite out of some fair damsel's neck.  The movie DARK SHADOWS has a lot more going for it besides Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfieffer who must have a mirror stowed away in some attic.  The clever plot is at its best when focusing on the kitschy style of the 70's and Barnabas' colloquial verbiage.  The buildup to the climax becomes a bit heavy handed but you can watch this guilty pleasure, "without having to say you're sorry," or without the lie & deny method that worked for me back then. Johnny Depp, no lie "you are my first, my last, my everything!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think