Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Poetry Slam @ Rubenstein Atrium/Linc. Ctr.

Tonight I went to the free, Poetry Slam Competition, which features high school students from all 5 burroughs.  Tonight the students were from the Bronx. The Poetry Slam's theme is "I Have a Voice." The student's perform their original poetry in their unique style. This was my 1st time experience with this remarkable art form.  The 1st of many will follow.  Hats off to these talented, courageous, entertaining young poets.  The huge rock I've been under is off and I'm sorely aware of what I've been missing.  Slam poetry originated in '89 out of Chicago and is the greatest art form to originate here since jazz.  This competion, like the Oscars, unfairly compares different artist's performances.  The judges are comprised of 3 world class poets and 2 random audience members.  The judges rate the poems from 1- 10; the highest & lowest scores are tossed and scores are posted immediately following the student's recitation.  Fortunately,  I wasn't a judge because I would have rated everyone a 10 everytime.  I was laughing, I was crying, I was utterly amazed by the quality of the poems & the incredulously poignant performances.  There were 3 rounds for the contestants to recite 3 poems in 3 different styles.  The final round was "free voice." Slam poetry is an amalgamation of philosophy, rap & emotional candor.  These talented students all deserve recognition.  They spoke from their hearts & tugged @ my heart strings.  Some of the poems that resonated for me: "Where Does the Love Go" which addressed caring for the homeless, "Hello," a touching, unrequited love poem to a girl, and "My Heart," a daughter recalling her love for her father who abandoned her.  I could go on & on & I will go back, again & again, now that I am out from under that huge boulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think