Thursday, November 22, 2012

Poet-Linc Poetry Slam NY H.S. Students

I was so deliriously happy at my 1st poetry slam @ the David Rubenstein Atrium/62nd & 63rd, that I came back for an encore of the best, FREE live arts performance by our local high school students.  There were 8 high school students (all male) representing Queens.  The students recite their original works.  Some perform reading from their Iphones, off handwritten or typed paper, & some recite extemporaneously.  The theme for the entire competition is I HAVE A VOICE.  There are 3 rounds, with 3 different styles:  declarative (speech tone) narrative poem (a story having a beg'g, middle & end,) & free verse (open to all creations.)  The judging is done by a panel of 3 prof. poets/writers & 2 random audience members.  Judging is on content & performance. I was approached to be a judged but said I would only want to give them all 10's: they said thanks but, no thanks.  The evening is filled with humor, creativity, emotion and a bonding between the contestants & the audience.  Again, I was pleased at how the competitors all cheered for one another & laughed together.  The overall tone was clever & funny.  I was moved by the heartfelt love poems; lucky young muses.  Of course, there were poetry slams that dealt with more serious matters:  9/11, rage, mankind's dark side, disconnection.  On the lighter side, one competitor gave such a beautiful love poem the emcee told him, "hang onto that one, you can use it at your wedding."  The poem, "Breakup" was a crack up.  "I'm sorry I ever kissed her.  We used to be like lemon & lime.  Now it was a waste of time. I think you're just you, you used to be my boo." Another said "Dear time, you've gone crazy, a ploy between some girl & boy."  The emcee always says to applaud the poet not the scores.  I cheer for all you brave young artists, bravo!  One last quote, "I'll be back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think