Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sherie Rene Scott @ Below 54

Last night, one of Broadway's brightest musical stars, Sherie Rene Scott (SRS) shined @ the Below 54.  Scott  known for her comic auto-biographical,  "Everyday Rapture," wrote & sang last night's show, "Piece of Meat."  While waiting for her 1st set, the backup band for SRS played jazz.  The fabulous band had a female bass player, fabulous jazz pianist & a drummer who also played the xylophone.   SRS came out swinging, I mean singing - (damn Yankees.)   Like Ben Vereen whom I heard @ Below 54, Broadway wants you back my friend.  SRS sings about her life and develops a warm relationship with the audience.  "Piece of Meat," is themed around her carnivorous life after being a vegetarian for 26 years.  There's more meat to her life story although I thought the material was too lean.   She has a  beautiful, clear voice and great comic timing.   SRS was funny & endearing and the hour gig was over before I knew it.  Below 54 is an enjoyable place to enjoy a cabaret show. Unfortunately,  the rest of her performances are sold out.  SRS laments that now she isn't a vegan, she doesn't have a prayer to becoming the next Mrs. Paul McCartney.  With her humor & talent, I'd like to be her new BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think