Monday, October 15, 2012

Marry Me a Little - did little for me

Marry me a Little, the musical by Stephen Sondheim @ the Clurman Theatre did little to convert me to a Sondheim fan.  Either you're a fan of Sondheim's (although there are always a few winning songs) or you're not.  I fall into the NOT category but NOT without an open mind.  I was seated in the 2nd row behind a young man who cried unabashedly during the "emotionally" charged numbers while the young woman seated next to him fell asleep despite practically being on the stage.  I did NOT fall asleep but i did NOT feel the pathos of loneliness or the exuberance of being in love intended by this 2 person cast.  The clever staging places both leads, "Him," Jason Tam & "Her," Lauren Molina, simultaneously in the same NYC apartment but living separately in their own place; alone.  This musical is performed as an operetta with no dialogue.  Both Molina & Tam are Broadway musical veterans but the pianist visible on stage (presumably Sondheim) nearly drowns out their voices.  Furthermore, each score sounded similar and all but forgettable.  The sincerity of the cast and a few of the songs moved me a little but too little too late for me to recommend, unless you're a Sondheim fan, which I am NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think