Monday, April 6, 2015

ON KAWARA: Silence-Not Much Worth Viewing

On Kawara (b. Japan 1932-2014) is a conceptual artist whose art seems more symptomatic of a compulsive disorder than an insightful concept.  Identified with his Today paintings of dates: month, day & year on that date.  These "Today" paintings are in various sizes; the dates are all in white on monochromatic backgrounds of black, blue & red. Many artists inspire me to think "why didn't I think of that?"  With Kawara's "art" I think why did Kawara become so obsessed with painting dates, sending postcards & organizing lists.  Knowing that stencils were not used to make his paintings only makes me think how much time & effort went into something which is so effortlessly obtained.  I borrowed the headset to gain some insight into the art or artist.  An enraptured voice informed me that the paintings present "a euphoric meditation."  That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that for all his painstaking work, I shrugged my shoulders and discerned neither calm or joy.  Perhaps, his most poignant work references the Viet Nam War.  Three simple word paintings do hold a significant protest for a time that should not be forgotten.  Otherwise, the short time I spent there was not worth my time:  Apr. 6, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think