Thursday, April 16, 2015

Bjork @ MoMA-Why? What am I Missing?

In the lobby of the MoMA is an interesting largescale mechanical structure I found intriguing.  I asked the MoMA employee at the entrance if this was part of the Bjork exhibit. "Yes," she said, "not many people realize it's part of the exhibit.  It's a gravitational pull."  Large swaying limbs sway back & forth with a hypnotic power while emitting varying musical strains.  "Do the sounds & movements keep changing?" I asked. "Yes, the constant shifts in movement causes constantly differentiating sounds."  Not many stopped to admire the installation & its melodic chants.   The 1st floor is where the Bjork exhibit continued.  Perhaps, this might prove more interesting than I anticipated.  I entered a large darkened rom with large screens on 2 opposing walls.  The identical film which appeared on both screens simultaneously was of Bjork in a dark cave singing.  The room was covered with speakers and black structures reminiscient of stalagmites.  Bjork was singing with her eyes appearing blank. The volume was way too loud (for me.)  I found the lyrics inane about being held captive and being blind. Water was dripping onto Bjork.  I thought the effect might be simulated in the room we were standing.  I found the whole experience ridiculous and left after a few minutes.  I did stop to watch the "gravitational pull" on the way out but felt as though someone was pulling my leg with Bjork's video.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think