Saturday, April 5, 2014

Stage Kiss with Jessica Hecht-Made me Gag

Stage Kiss starring Tony winner Jessica Hecht (View from the Bridge) is written by 2X Pulitz. Prize finalist & Tony nom. playwright (Next Room) Sarah Ruhl.  These 2 major talents left me with a sour pucker on my face with this hapless farce.  She (Hecht) plays a flustered actress auditioning for a play for which she is frazzled & unprepared.  She asks the director for a synopsis of the play.  He describes the play as "tonally slippery, funny & sad."  The play was totally silly, atonal and pathetically bad.  Despite a disastrous audition She gets cast.   Her romantic lead turns out to be a long ago love whose tempetuos love affair is rekindled during the course of rehearsals involving numerous kissing scenes (with numerous partners) that all caused me to gag.  The spineless director's only direction to his actors was to "follow your instincts."  He did however, make the very astute comment "there's no accounting for taste."  The audience howled like banshees to this droll drama.  I followed my instincts & the exit sign to depart during intermission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think