Saturday, January 11, 2014

Dance Festival @ Lincoln Center Allen Room

The APAP Showcase on Friday was a dance performance marathon held in the Allen Room overlooking Columbus Circle.  The festival ran for 6 consecutive hours; 5:30PM-11:30PM.  The tickets, starting @ $15, gives you access to come & go during the non-stop performances.  There are more than 40 companies, mostly modern, but there is ballet, flamenco, hip-hop, contortionists & performance art.  Some companies had 10 dancers while others had only 2.  There was live music but most was  recorded.  Several companies had elaborate costumes while others were basic.  It's like a huge box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.  There is no discernable order to the program.  However, this is the most bang for your buck you can get for dance.  I burnt out and didn't stay for the entire evening.  Of the companies I saw, I particularly enjoyed the passionate Flamenco Co. and the theatrics of the Reichlin Dancers from LA.  Some performances left me scratching my head while others had my head nodding off…but, there is much to be said for seeing a cornucopia of dance styles with C.P.S. illuminated as the backdrop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think