Monday, October 21, 2013

Visited BAM for Dance, DAMN

The modern dance En Atendant by Anne De Keersmaeker, a Belgian choreographer at the forefront of modern dance took "a new step in exploration of the relationship between music and dance,"  according to the program notes.  This was  not my interpretation.  The performance began with a man walking on stage holding a flute for an extended period.  Very slowly he raised the flute towards his lips but did not directly BLOW into the instrument.  I thought the performance was pretentious and that it BLEW. The music was provided by a vocalist, fiddler & a different flutist who utilized the flute as an instrument.  The English translation to the incessant wailing of Middle Age Renaissance chanting read "I must suffer grievous pain and languishing."  My sentiments, exactly.  The stark dark set was lit overhead by harsh neon lights.  The dancers all dressed in black street clothes became obscure in the background.  In the foreground, movements consisteded of bodies piling on the ground in corpse like forms.  There were several group line formations.  One configuration had the dancers all raising their legs up in unison.  I felt my leg being pulled.  The stage was covered in a thin layer of dirt which raised clouds of dust; ashes to ashes - dust to dust.  I was parched & needed to quench my thirst after the performance which was not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think