Thursday, October 3, 2013

Outdoor Installation @ Linc Ctr, a Melting Mess

The outdoor sculpture exhibit by Amer. artist Aaron Curry, "Melt to Earth" is scheduled to officially open on Oct. 7th.  If you happen to be out & about enjoying the beautiful weather & the lovely promenade at Lincoln Center, you will get a preview.  The show is comprised of 14 brightly colored sculptures of varying shapes/sizes.  All the sculptures share similarities.  They all appear drippy, all have circular openings, the hues have the same vivid intensity, they're childlike and I didn't care for them.  The slender statues surround the majestic central fountain.  In my opinion, the work takes away from the beauty of the space.  I can't, however, complain about the price since they're free for public viewing.  (Unless I want to quibble that it does get financed by our city taxes through the Public Art Fund.)  Besides, what do I know?  Mr. Curry has been awarded the Mundheim Fellowship in Visual Arts @ the Amer. Acad. (which I don't know.)  The artist's work has been exhibited at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago (which I do know) in a group exhibit:  Alexander Calder, Form, Balance & Joy.  The exhibit will be outside Lincoln Center through Jan. 6th.  The work is playful & I think it will bring joy to youngsters who will interact with the sculptures.  This, will bring me joy as did the witch who melted away in Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think