Thursday, October 3, 2013

NYPhil. Open Rehearsal premier & Beethoven's 9th

Today's auditorium for the Philharmonic's open rehearsal conducted by Alan Gilbert was filled to capacity.  There was much to be excited for:  Beethoven's 9th Symph & the NY Phil.'s premier of Frieze, (2013) by contemporary composer, Mark-Anthony Turnage (b. 1960.)  What additional accolades can be bestowed on Beethoven's highly revered masterpiece?  "The Ninth' is sacred, and it was already sacred when I first heard it in 1897" (Stravinsky.)  "Nobody will ever write anything better than this symphony" (Rachmannioff.)  Perhaps not, but, Turnage was commissioned  to write an orchestra piece inspired by Beethoven's Ninth.  In Turnage's words, "I'd become re-obsessed with Beethoven, as I had been as a child."  Although Frieze is constructed in 4 movements, it is not a symphony.  "Frieze has little shadows cast from Beethoven" (Turnage.)  Whether or not Beethoven's 9th is the pinnacle of musical composition may be debated, the genius of Beethoven is indisputable.  I found the program fascinating having both compositions.  I did not discern Turnage's homage to Beethoven's work, but I would willing go back and listen to both again.  ENCORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think