Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Barnes & Noble Event, The Bully Society by Jessie Klein

I came to hear the author of The Bully Society, Dr. Jessie Klein, who said she wanted to address "the  epidemic of bullying for our generation."  Having seen the documentary BULLY which Klein called "painful to watch," I was looking for ways to build a kinder, gentler society.  What I heard from Dr. Klein who has her PhD. in Sociology and 20 years experience as a social worker & professor, is that our society has placed inherent pressures on our youngsters to overachieve, causing pent up frustration resulting in aggressive behavior.  Media was also blamed for creating gender pressures; males to be macho and girls to be princesses.  Dr. Klein claimed the average child today is "anxious," and believes in "success at any cost."  Children are not learning how to forge friendships and there is a vicious cycle of the bullied becoming the bully.  What I did NOT get from listening to Dr. Klein, were positive suggestions for teaching empathy or how to mitigate the cruelty that has become so prevalent.  I was disappointed not to come away with  positive steps or disciplinary measures.  I did however, come away with school supplies for my students @ EHT (shout out to students/staff @ East Harlem Tutorial,) and the 1st prize in the drawing, $500 gift certificate to EHT @ Barnes & Noble.  Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think