Sunday, April 15, 2012

16 Public Golf Courses in NYC - Surely You Jest

Don't believe me?  Go on line or let me save you the time.  There are 4 public courses in the Bronx, 2 in Brooklyn, 6 in Queens, 4 on Staten Island and last but not least 1 in Manhattan on Randell's Island.  Should you go on line, you'll find that NYC resident's pay for 9-18 holes, $18-$39; seniors and juniors (16 & under) rates start @ $7.75.  There is a $20 fee for your permit. This requires a photo I.D. and a copy of any public utility bill which can be presented at any of NYC's public courses.  They even provide power carts & reservations for a nominal fee, along with parking.  So as an avid golfer & NYC resident, what do I say to this, "Bah Humbug!"  I prefer to play @ Spook Rock Golf Course in Ramapo just over the G.W. bridge in NY State.  It has a beautiful 18 hole course with a large driving range & practice putting green.  The catch is, if you don't live in Ramapo (even though you live in NY) your rate is $65 vs. $26 for Ramapo residents.  I asked the charming starter, why do us city slickers get penalized for playing here, I told him he could come into the city & I wouldn't charge him to play in central park.  I got a nice laugh from him but no dice on the discount.  Any chance of a discount now that I've given you & your legendary golf course a plug?  I'm not kidding - "No?"  Bah Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think