Sunday, March 25, 2012

Japanese documentary - JIRO'S DREAMS OF SUSHI

It is only fair to mention before commenting on the movie, I don't eat sushi.  I can't stand the sight or even the thought of sushi.  So, why was I interested in seeing the movie.  Having seen the preview, I was intrigued with the dedication to perfection, this 85 year old had to the "art" of preparing sushi.  Jiro goes way beyond dedication to preparing sushi; it becomes a myopic obsession.  Is it really necessary to massage the octopus 45 minutes to tenderize the texture?  Although Jiro brings both sons into his 10 seat restaurant to work with him, it seems that is all he does; work, work, work and then dream about sushi.  The film does make an important point, that the trolling for fish is destroying the future supply as it hauls huge populations of fish from the sea; the young as well as full grown fish.  I did not come away with an appreciation for Jiro's devotion to excellence. Sadly, I came away feeling his life was pathetic, in fact, he missed out on life.  Frankly, JIRO'S DREAMS of SUSHI put me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think