Wednesday, February 28, 2018

NYPhil with Yuja Wang, Piano and Groundbreaking Rehearsal with Conductor Jaap van Zweden:

David Geffen Hall was packed today for the NYP rehearsal as expected to hear the phenomenal pianist Yuja Wang (b China 1987) perform Brahms Piano Concerto #1 in D minor.  Unfortunately for me, the Brahms' piece was to be rehearsed after Prokofiev's Symphony #8 in B-flat major.  I was disappointed I had to leave & miss Wang on the piano.  Still, Prokofiev's Symphony is quite a rousing selection.  Some of Aaron Copeland's compositions seemed to reflect Prokofiev's movement Allegro marcato.  It was obvious that Prokofiev's composition was going to be performed 1st as Brahms & Prokofiev were the only pieces on the program.  I have repeatedly asked the people wearing the ASK ME signs around their necks to please inform me of the order of the pieces for the rehearsal.  No one has ever been able to provide me an answer or answer why can't there an announcement made at the start of the rehearsal.  Today, Conductor & Artistic Director Designate for the NYP, Jaap van Sweden (b Amsterdam 1960) turned to face the audience with a microphone to wish everyone a good morning and to say how pleased he was to see so many people had come.  He said, "You may wonder why I'm holding a microphone.  I will be keeping the microphone on the podium so that you can all hear what is said to the orchestra during the rehearsals as so many of you have requested."  WOW!  I know that some NBA coaches are miked during their sideline talks to the players which is pretty exciting. But, to hear what's said between the conductor & orchestra members, unheard of, unthinkable...who even thought to ask this remarkable practice be done?  BRAVO!  I always thought there was a cone of silence between the conductor/orchestra & audience.  I was astonished.  I was delighted and enlightened.  Never before has an orchestra rehearsal done more to include the audience.  The process & the utter genius of asking the musicians for precise corrections was thrilling.  Zweden was gracious & encouraging. He was respectful & plentiful with bellissimas!  This provided an added thrilling enticement into the ingenious musical process.  BRAVO!  "If we do the unthinkable would it make us look crazy or would it be so beautiful either way." (A Keys. Drake)  Yes, it is so incredibly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think