Sunday, September 3, 2017

US Open Federer Match Opened 2 1/2 Hours Behind Schedule Leaving Fans out in the Rain

Yes, the tail end of Harvey came up the east coast bringing heavy rains but I'm not one to complain when so many have lost so much from the Hurricane.  Well, I do have a champagne complaint.  Ticket holders for 7PM were forced to wait outside Arthur Ashe Stadium before the men's match with  Roger Federer.  Federer is arguably the best player ever to pick up a racket.   Federer beat Feliciano Lopez of Spain in straights sets.  The wait for the match was twice as long as the delay to the start of the match.  The match lasted just over an hour & a half.  While the majority of fans were forced to wait outside in the showers, I was comfortably ensconced inside with a dry martini.  Once inside, at court side, my haute attitude rose to the heights of the newly covered main court.  I became irritated above & beyond with the non-stop selfies & filming fanatics who were obtrusive.  What's wrong with you people?  You're not living & enjoying the play as it happens.  You were in the room where it happened but thew away your shot to focus by watching behind a lens.  By the way, Lin-Manuel Miranda was in the stands.  When spotted on the big screen, he was a good sport & seized the moment to kiss his wife.  Another smashing couple in the stands was Justin Timberlake & Jessica Biel.  Justin & Jimmy Fallon treated the audience to an impromptu dancing duet to "Single Ladies."  Their box was next to Federer's wife, Mirka's box.  Mirka is the mother of their double set of identical twins.  Seated behind Mirka was the ubiquitous Anna Wintour wearing her customary shades & typical 50's style dress & dated hairdo. Time to try a new style Miss self-entitled dictator of fashion.  Where was I?  Oh yes, the dumbing down of the stadium crowd.  Okay, I get it's exciting to get onto the jumbo screen but that doesn't mean you need to go to absurd extremes.  And, I don't need T-shirt man dancing like a clown stripping down his T's to reveal a US Open shirt & I (heart) NY shirt.  I think he's the same guy who dances at the Knick's games to the amusement of the masses (and not the rigid asses).  Still, I'm asking you people to stop filming & watch the live competition you're fortunate enough to attend.  The level of play at the US Open is omnipotent.  I think we'd all benefit with less silliness.  I challenge buffoonery to be banned in the stands.  Welcome to NYC and the US Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think