Saturday, September 16, 2017

Pulitz Prize Poet Galway Kinnell Leaves Hidden Treasures in MTA Poetry "Hide-and-Seek" - Take a Peek

Recently I came across a poem on the subway cars (always a pleasurable find) by Galway Kinnell (b Amer 1927-2014).  I remembered reading & enjoying his "Hide-and-Seek" poem.  Yesterday, I saw a different poster with Kinnell's poem entitled "Hide-and-Seek" so I took another peek, my interest being piqued.  This poem was not what I spotted previously in the subway with the same title.  Kinnell was awarded the Pulitzer Prize & the Nat'l Book Award for Poetry.  The Nat'l Book Award judges deemed him "America's pre-eminent visionary."  I took extraordinary delight in this sprightly written succinct poem that is filled with mirth & sorrow.

Once when we were playing hide-and-seek
And it was time to go home,
The rest gave up on me before it was done.
And I forgot I was I was still hiding.
I remained hidden as a matter
of honor until the moon rose.

I think of children gaily playing outdoors but surreptitiously excluding one whose pride outlasted the fun.  I think of adults with cruel intentions or disregard that cut away & ostracize. The heart goes last.

I only just discovered Kinnell's poetry.  I'm so enamored with his poetry I have purchased his last collection (2001) of poems entitled "Strong is Your Hold."  Kinnell's writing holds a place alongside the great poets:  Frost, Rilke & Whitman.  I'm surprised I only now discovered his work.  The title of his last poetry collection "Strong is Your Hold" is taken from a poem of Whitman's:
Strong is your hold, O mortal flesh
Strong is your hold, O love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think