Sunday, June 18, 2017

Human Rights Film "Lindy Lou Juror #2" Lindy Lou is Looney The Death Penalty Gets Buried under Bullshit

The premiere of the documentary "Lindy Lou Juror #2" closed the Human Rights Watch Film Festival last night at the Walter Reade Theater.  It was introduced as, "A film you're really going to enjoy, my favorite film in the Festival." I detested this film. It's an utter debacle. It was a shameless portrait of a self-indulgent Lindy Wells to garner notoriety.  It didn't focus on advocating to end the death penalty.  The film trudges along following Lindy to rehash the trial & sentencing with fellow jurors in an attempt to resolve her regret at the execution of convicted killer, Bobby Wilcher.  Lindy sat on the 1994 jury in MI that found Bobby Wilcher guilty of fatally stabbing two women in 1982.  The jury also unanimously voted Wilcher receive the death penalty.  MI didn't offer life without parole at that time.  Several jurors felt a responsibility to the public to protect them from possible harm by Wilcher should he be released.  Now, more than 2 decades later, Lindy bemoans grappling with playing a part in Wilcher's execution.  The film produced by Florent Vasault (b France 1979)  is a tedious road trip to track down fellow jurors to rehash the case.  Her motivation isn't to condemn capital punishment but to seek solace from those who voted as she did. By her own admission "I knew I really needed to talk to someone about what I'd been through, that I needed comfort."  It was Lindy who contacted Wilcher's attorney to meet him.  She was granted permission & first visited him the day his execution was scheduled in July, 2000.  I thought this perverse.  Lindy, a Southern Baptist claims to have been raised to believe in "an eye for an eye." Wilcher received a stay of execution & she took this as divine intervention, "God has given me time to befriend this guy."  And so, Lindy continued to visit Wilcher & talk by phone weekly.  She shares with us the contents of Wilcher's belongings including a love letter to her & packets of old mayo.   "He said he loved me.  He knew I was married.  I'd say I love you too but I felt like I was lying."  I felt she was disingenuous with Wilcher & throughout this film.  It becomes about a delusional woman fixated on herself. "My love was not a romantic love, it was the love of a friend or for people.  I just didn't have the heart to tell him."  I applaud the jurors who allotted time to talk with her & respect those who wanted privacy.  She was critical of a juror who forgot details from the trial. While driving her car, phoning & getting lost, she proudly presents 2 handguns she's packing.  Lindy Lou is a narcissistic nutcase. This doc. is case study of a deranged, obsessive woman.  She doesn't have the courage of convictions either for or against the death penalty.  As long as she's in the spotlight it's irrelevant as is this major misstep of a supposed human rights film.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think