Monday, April 3, 2017

MTA Poetry "A Name" by Ada Limon

With the spring, the MTA Poetry is sprouting new poems to bloom & brighten the gloom of winter's waning days.   Ada Limon (b Amer 1976) is an award winning poet.  In 2005, two collections of her poems were honored:  "Lucky Wreck" the Autumn House Poetry Prize and "The Big Fake World," the Pearl Poetry Prize.  The poem I spotted yesterday by Limon was on a poster with various animals prowling along the ground.  It was called "A Name."  It seems innocent, childish and tender and yet it embeds a curiosity & sense of wonder:

A Name

When Eve walked among
the animals and named them
nightingale, redshouldered hawk,
fiddler crab, fallow deer -
I  wonder if she ever wanted them to speak back, looked into
their wide wonderful eyes and
whispered, Name me, name me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think