Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Chekov's "THE CHERRY ORCHARD" with DIane Lane Wasn't a Good Pick

The brilliance of Chekov is not in question.  However, the "CHERRY ORCHARD does not stand the test of time as one of Chekov's clever creations.  I don't agree with Artistic Dir Tood Haimes' claim that this version "is refracted through the sensibilities of 21st Century America."  I thought there were missed pickings with this play that would have planted this play on firm ground with current social relevance.  However, the play remained rooted as a period piece, one with vapid banter or pretentious posturing.  Chekov's play contends with themes of family tragedy & discord, financial ruin and class divides.  The subject of slavery/servitude was raked under foot.  Fate has note been kind to this staging  starring the lovely & talented Diane Lane in the lead as Ranevskaya.  Joel Grey as the abject servant Firs was absent in his role.  If I were to cherry pick the things I liked about this production, it would be Lane's admirable portrayal of a hapless heiress.   The original music composed by Nico Muhly (Acad. Award winner for scoring "The Reader) & the musical trio who added some life to a decaying masterpiece gone to seed.  "Who am I?  Why am I alive" asks Trofimov, the penniless, perpetual student.  I recommend you pick another play?  "The Cherry Orchard" proved to be a "slow march of time."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think