Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Agnes Martin Exhibit at Guggenheim-Minimalist Art with Expansive Ideas

The extensive show of Agnes Martin's (b. Canada 1912-2004) work is simply titled AGNES MARTIN in monochromatic pale blue.  I was expecting to see a lot of repetitive, pale toned, grid or lined paintings but her works evoked numerous responses from me as I explored the works over her career as an artist.  I found her works serene, contemplative, disruptive & manic and most of all surprising.  The exhibit begins without curation but with a single painting "Mid-Winter" ('54) which has biomorphic shapes with a palette of black, brown, white & grey and looked very much like a work by Gorky.  Martin's early paintings were portraitures, still lifes & landscapes.  I was disappointed there weren't any  shown she may have destroyed them.  She was known to destroy many works she deemed sub-stellular.  Martin's work is considered pivotal between abstract art & minimalism.  The 1st large gallery contained contained the 12 large paintings collectively titled "The Islands," ('79.)  These iconic pieces represent Martin's pared down paintings in undulating shades of white.  All are deceptively similar.   W Martin claimed she wanted her paintings "to conjure abstract emotions of freedom, happiness, innocence & perfection."  I had mixed responses.  To the majority of her detailed, repetitive grid paintings I felt a sense of frenzy from compulsive, meticulous grids & repetitions.  Martin struggled with schiophrenia throughout her life and I sensed this in her work.  I also felt her work served as a conduit for serenity.  The muted palettes appear soothing but they omit optical tricks. Looking upclose and then moving away, lines & shapes disappear.  Many of Martin's large paintings from the '70s have nature titles:  "Blue Flower" "On a Clear Day".  These were done shortly after Martin returned to painting after an extended hiatus.  Martin said "When I first made a grid, I happened to be thinking of the innocence of trees."  I was intrigued with Martin's thoughts &  expectations.  The body of Martin's work and its evolution was endlessly fascinating. Although, I didn't experience a Zen like response.  Martin maintained "art is the concrete representation of our most subtle feelings." With this sentiment, I am in full alignment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think