Sunday, September 18, 2016

MTA Poetry in Motion-"A Strange Beautiful Woman"

A short & sweet poem popped up in the subway over the weekend with cars overloaded & packed entitled "A Strange Beautiful Woman,' by Marilyn Nelson (b. Amer 1946.)  The poem was kindah cute & kindah of made me smile - What's your take away?

A strange beautiful woman
met me in the mirror
the other night
Hey,
I said,
What you doing here?
She asked
the same thing.

I like the clever verse & self-empowering motif.  Now, if only you people would stop traveling on the subway with your oversized luggage, I'd be less adverse to public transportation.

The delightful, colorful poster was of a woman surrounded by butterflies was by  It was New York native artist, Philemona Williamson.  Wiliamson has received a John Newbery Medal & is the author of "How I discovered Poetry," ('14.)
It's fun to find MTA's Poetry in Motion - That's what it's doing here - adding some fun.  Let's lose the extra baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think