Wednesday, August 17, 2016

It was the Best of Times at the Local Copperfield Bookstore Book Discussion

Do you remember the epoch of beatnik "howling" poetry readings, parlor gatherings of intellectual repartee?  I don't - but I did enjoy the small "open" invitation book group gathering at the Copperfield's Bookstore in my local town square.  The monthly gatherings are open to anyone and all are welcome.  The book we discussed was "Circling the Sun" by Paula McLain; historic fiction about the life of Beryl Markham, the 1st woman to successful cross the Atlantic in a solo flight.  I don't necessarily recommend the book (or any others by McLain) but I strongly urge bookstores to schedule regular book group discussions and for people to attend.  We were a small group of all women and men are most welcome.  We meet at closing time in the store in comfortable chairs formed in a circle.  I enjoyed sharing thoughts, comments and information amongst our group and came away not only appreciating the book more, but delighted by the stimulating conversation.  The ladies were conscientious & considerate listeners - a valuable attribute that can always be honed.   The meetings are regularly held on the 3rd Monday of the month.  Our next book is "The Readers of Broken Wheels Recommend" by Katrina Bivald.  I recommend local book clubs to convene.  Bantering about books brings people together. "Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood."  (J Green)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think