Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Julliard Jazz Ensemble Perform Their Compositions

I am in awe of the creative talents of the Julliard students.  Last night, each memeber of the Julliard Jazz Ensemble performed their original compositions.  They also wrote & arranged for each of the instruments in their ensemble.  I attribute true genius to each of these gifted musicians.  The 6 member ensemble comprised a pianist, drummer, 2 trumpet players & a tenor sax.  Each spoke a little about their composition with candor, humor & brilliance.  Guest coach, prolific trumpeter, composer and twice  Grammy nom. recording artist, Dave Douglas played the 1st piece, his own composition "Hawaiian Punch."  Gabriel Medd on trumpet followed.  Medd introduced his piece "Terms" after paying homage to Douglas by saying his recording was the 1st ever he purchased and he thanked Douglas for his mentorship.  Medd asked the audience to consider his description for the most delicious tasting cheeseburger.  He admitted his imagery fell short of everyone's conception and he explained "the inability of words to convey" thoughts sufficiently often fall flat.  So, he named his piece "Terms" which he hoped would convey his feelings through music.  The incredible jazz music for the evening were all poetic expressions that resonated on many levels.  The tenor saxophone player named his piece "Costa del Cortisol."  "I have never been to Costa del Cortisol but I named this piece with irony over the break at home with my family.  I find there is always tension at family gatherings & I meant to capture this feeling in my music."  I discerned tension, multiple-conversations, and a sense of not being heard.  I  also heard from this jazzy piece built up emotion and energy.  Trumpet player  J.Q. Whitcomb called his bluesy piece "Geographic Lull" which he said represented "changes and missed opportunities."  My favorite composition came from the drummer, Andrew Wangemann's  "Virtue." His solo for the trumpet was extraordinary. I was entralled with the music and I'm totally blown by these fine muscians & composers.  Dave Douglas closed out the set by thanking these remarkable artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think