Thursday, March 3, 2016

MetLiveArts-MET Breuer Concerts Featuring S. Indian & Cuban Musicians

The MET Breuer will be open to the public starting new week.  During its pre-opening, a series of performances & sound installations "Relation," are being held in the 1st floor gallery.  This musical, multi-media extravaganza is the brainchild of musician & composer Vijay Iyer, Met's 2015-16 artist in residence.  At Iyer's invitation, guest musicians & artists will be performing in the intimate space of the James Gallery.  My timing was  fortuitous.  I came this morning intending to see the Met's collection in its new home & the new exhibits "Unfinished: Thoughts Left Visible" and works by Nasreen Mohamedi.  But, I was informed a concert was about to start.  I thought I'd pop in briefly to listen & then move onto the upper galleries.  I sat in an aisle seat in the back row.  From the onset, I was totally captivated by the female singer's vibrato, a melding of S. Indian Carnatic, contemporary and jazzy vocals.  She was accompanied by 2 other female musicians: a violinist & percussonist also trained in South Indian Carnatic & Western classical.  The pianist, Alfredo Rodriguez, was the odd man out; his classical & jazz training is from his native Cuba.  Rodriguez received a Grammy nomination for jazz in 2015.  The blending of jazz, classical, Latin & S. Indian Carnatic styles created an exceptional sound that was alluring & intoxicating.  I stealthily moved from the back to the front row & happily remained for their entire set.  Most people walked in & out quickly without giving the music's power the opportunity to lure them into staying.  The artwork?  I didn't have time to visit the galleries but the exhibits will remain on display through June.  I'll be back to see the art but first I'm returning Friday  to hear another concert featuring Grammy-nominated Vijay Iyer for jazz who was awarded the 2012 & 2013 Pianist of the Year Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think