Sunday, January 10, 2016

The King and I at Linc Ctr-Shall You See It? Absolutely!

Rodgers & Hammerstein's (R&H) beloved musical 1st premiered on B'wy in 1951.  Yul Brynner & Deborah Karr starred in the unforgettable 1956 film.  I've enjoyed the film several times and looked forward to the memorable classics "Getting to Know You," "Shall We Dance," and "I Whistle a Happy Tune," performed with a live orchestra and sung by the queen of B'wy musicals, Kelly O'Hara (South Pacific, Tony Award.)  I was reminded of the genius of (R&H's) music & lyrics.  The show is timeless for its artistry.  What I had forgotten, were the prominent, strong anti-slavery messages.  Anna (Kelly O'Hara) is a British schoolteacher who moves to Siam to tutor the many children from the many wives to the King of Siam in the 1860's.  The musical takes a light hearted approach to a boorish ruler who unwittingly subjugates his people, multiple wives and women.  However, the King is no Simon Legree.  He admires Pres Lincoln & becomes more open minded as he gets to know Anna and broadens his horizons. The women/children of Siam put on a beautiful choreographed depiction of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," to demonstrate to foreign dignitaries the King is not a barbarian.  Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin," lays the groundwork for the anti-slavery thrust of The KING and I. I had forgotten the poignant and haunting song "I Have Dreamed" from the musical.  Perhaps, this song inspired Martin Luther King famous civil liberties speech "I Have Dream," (1963.)   I left the show whistling a happy tune.  I also left with a deeper appreciate for its social/political importance.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think