Friday, October 31, 2014

Jean Luc Godard's "Goodbye to Language" Say What??

The French-Swiss Dir./Screenwriter Jean Luc Godard's "Goodbye To Language" won this year's Canne Jury Prize.  Godard is a highly regarded filmmaker whose been bestowed the Academy's Honary Award.  Words escape me while attempting to condense this pretentious film that is both arduous to watch & difficult to comprehend.  This French speaking film features a male/female relationship with its ups & downs but always in the nude.  "Animals are never naked because they are always naked." The real star of the film is a dog who showed real acting chops.  Philosphical enigmas are abound, most went right over my head.  I wasn't the only one befuddled, "I don't understand" was a recurring comment.  "Do something so I can speak," was another repetitive statement.  The visual style of the film was stunning except when it was blinding or blacked out.  The 3D effects of vivid nature scenes were astonishing.  Water was often used as a metaphor, for what I'm not sure "the water spoke to him in a deep voice trying to communicate."  The overall feeling was dreamlike and elusive, like fading memories.  I was drawn into this artsy film by its staggering visual concepts.  However, the more I was drawn into the hodgepodge of pleasing aesthetics the more obtuse any communication was conveyed like "a fog that stops us from seeing further."      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think