Saturday, October 11, 2014

FALL for DANCE $25 all Seats Best Dance Deal EVER

New Yorkers are pretty savy when it comes to dance, especially when there's a bargain.  But, unless you're in line the morning tickets go on sale (at least 6 hours beforehand) you're out of luck.  The tickets sell out in a NY minute.  I went 2 days later & managed to buy 2 seats in the very top row of City Center, just beneath the ceiling.  I wanted to see the SF Ballet Co. on the program Wed. Oct. 8th.  The FALL for DANCE brings in world wide 1st class dance companies providing a motley mix of dance.  This is an exciting & inexpensive way to see numerous companies rarely appearing in NYC.  The $25 to see SF Ballet perform "Variations for Two Couples" choreographed by Hans Van Manen with Benjamin Britten's score was the piece des resistance.  (I want to grouse that I paid the same as the audience seated in the orchestra for the nose bleed section.)  Having said that, the choreography & 4 dancers took my breathe away.  (It wasn't from the altitude.)  The BLACK GRACE Co. from New Zealand performed a tribal Samoan dance that was more calisthetics & mind numbing pounding.  I've never seen anything quite like it and I didn't like it, at all.  Mark Morris Dance Group was commissioned for FALL for DANCE.  Morris choreographed this world premier "Words" for which I only have derogatory words: silly, unimaginative and at it's best, banal.  I have much kinder words for  Sadler's Wells London Co.'s "TWO x TWO" choreographed by Russell Maliphant.  This U.S. premier features 2 female dancers.  Both are constricted to a lighted square; one downstage & the other further back.  The darkened staged & saturnine dance was hypnotic.  It created a very somber yet magical feel.  I was dazzled by this piece.  That scored a 2 out of 4 for my $25 which proved well worth it.  But hey, maybe for us seated up in the boonies - maybe we could be given a complimentary drink for the ascent required to get to our seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think