Monday, June 23, 2014

NORTE, no way - THE EXHIBITION, exit it

I'm condensing the reviews of 2 films, NORTE, the End of History, and THE EXHIBITION, because I walked out on both.  I lasted slightly longer in the BBC film, THE EXHIBITION than film NORTE by Filipino dir. Lav Davis where I lasted only 20 minutes. I found NORTE a pretentious plagiaristic version of Crime & Punishment.  It was pure punishment to sit & watch so I walked out prior to crime was committed.  It is a 4 hr. movie without interruptio. This was not a commitment I was willing to make.  I did  sneak into THE EXHIBTION by British dir. Joanna Hogg's which was about to start. Hogg's works have garnered her int'l film awards.  I thought this film might pan out to be artistic and intense.  The only interesting aspect was the contemporary home these married, artists lived & worked in together.  They seemed bound inside this hermetically sealed house but disconnected from each other.  The husband, a sought after artist refused to give interviews because "they are always asking me where I fit in & how I define myself."  I admired his refusal to conform to perceived conceptions.  Still, I  found this film pompous & confining; not worth my time.  I did a repeat & left my seat.  Let me save you your time & money.  Stay away from NORTE and don't bother showing up for THE EXHIBITION.  I am notorious for leaving before the endings.  I do endorse getting more value for your buck by going from one movie into the next on the same ticket.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think