Thursday, December 13, 2012

Poetry Slam, Staten Island High School Students

Last night concluded the competition for the 5 New York burroughs held @ the David Rubenstein Atrium.  The Poet-Linc, Poetry Slam, "I have a voice," is free & open to the public.  The students were from Staten Island & there were represented by 3 young ladies & 2 very talented young men.  Tonight is the final competition @ 7:30PM for the 10 finalists representing the 5 burroughs. The 2 finalists go on to compete against the winning high school students from, Chicago, the birthplace to poetry slam, & San Francisco, home to Alan Ginsberg, the beat poet of HOWL.  I am disappointed to miss tonights finals.  But, don't cry for me, I'll be at the Knicks/Lakers game.  Having been to 2 previous poetry slam competitions, I've loved all the student's works.  I will say that the student's from Staten Island showed  the strongest performances.  Their works were mostly memorized and the rhythm & syncopation of their poems were totally engaging.  One young lady began by singing her poem, then gave a bombastic litany and ended whispering her final verses.  Yes, this lady was one of the finalists.  Her performance and her poetry were both unique & creative.  Her poem, Marie Antoinette, I found particularily amusing & acerbic.  "I am the Queen.  I will arrest you for treason or for no reason."  Had I been the judge (which I find too difficult to do,) I would have chosen Mohamed for his heartfelt rap  & rhythm, as well as his incisive prose. "Everyone has the same dream.  Nobody cheated out of nothing."  I applaud all these amazing young poets who will not be going into the night quietly.  Go NYC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think