Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Les Miserables, Les Oscars Contenders

Victor Hugo's classic Les Miserables set at the time of the French Revolution, is one the greatest novels of all time.  I have seen the Broadway show, twice.  My expectations for the movie was set with the  highest benchmark; a formidable task. Les Miseables, starring Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Eddie Redmayne & Amanda Seyfried has now reset the bar for great movie musicals and should sweep this year's Oscar race.  I have only praise for the great story telling set to music & song.  I intended to throw Crowe under the bus for his singing but all was forgiven after he threw himself off the bridge.  I must extol 2 standout performers who made me cry, stole my heart & almost stole the movie.  Samantha Barks as Eponine sang beautifully and was the epitome of pain of unrequited love.  Gavroche, played by the young Daniel Hultelstone was awarded Javert's medal for honor but if there is justice, he will be awarded an Oscar nomination for his winning performance.  There were other pleasant surprises, Sacha Baron Cohen & Helena Bonham Carter as the thieving Thenardiers added pure comic genius.  Like the play, I will see this film again.  Rarely is there a movie of such eloguence where you feel hate turned to love, "You have warmed my heart like the sun."  I loved this movie but I'll loathe the Academy if this movie doesn't garner all the Oscar nominations it so richly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think