Friday, June 8, 2012

Pinchas Zuckerman, Conductor/Violin NY Philharmonic

Wednesday night, Mr. Zuckerman not only performed Bach's Violin Concerto in A minor & Mozart's Violin Concerto #5 in A major, he conducted the NY Philharmonic while doing so.  At intermission, I asked the distinguished elderly gent next to me how is it possible for him to do both?  His answer, was "practice, practice, practice."  "Oh, I thought that was how you got to Carnegie Hall" - yes, he laughed because we're both old enough to appreciate the gag, but the music was so beautiful, it is timeless and for all ages.  The usual cost for orchestra seats @ the NY Philharmonic @ Lincoln Center start at $45.  For this performance the tickets in the orchestra started @ $86 - so I asked to purchase a ticket for the morning open rehearsal for $18.  SOLD OUT!  After intermission, Zuckerman conducted, without playing: Stravinsky's Concerto in D (the most contemporary piece on the program) and Mozart's Symphony #39 in E flat major.  I did notice when walking through the Rubinstein atrium Wed. afternoon, there were reduced priced tickets for the evening's performance.  Good to know - but $86 was a bargain as far as I was concerned; the concert was sublime.  However, note to myself:  buy an open rehearsal ticket early or check out the box office in the Rubinstein auditorium.  Sublime is even greater when you're paying less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think