Wednesday, June 20, 2012

NY Philharmonic with Emanuel Ax & Alan Gilbert conducting

The end of the New York Philharmonic season is this Saturday and they've saved the best for last.  Alan Gilbert conducted Mozart's Piano Concerto #22 with soloist Emanuel Ax and Mozart's Mass in C minor.  I chose the open rehearsal for only $18 which starts @ 10AM.  Emanuel Ax was the draw for me.  Grammy winner Ax,  was Yo Yo Ma's accompanist for years & their collobration earned them Grammy awards.  If you don't know of world reknown cellist Ma, then you remind me of the dad in Hi-Fidelity who wanted to buy his daughter the song, "I Just called to Say I Love You," and I'm Jack Black kicking you out of here.  If you have been wondering why I haven't written about opera or masses, it's not because I don't like opera, it's just the singing gets in the way of the beautiful music. I had hoped that Mozart's piano concerto would be performed 1st as on the program, but the open rehearsal is subject to change and periodic stops from the conductor.  However, the Mass was performed first and I stayed for Ax's playing of Mozart's Piano Concerto #22.  I even stayed during the intermission when most of the audience departed and I was rewarded by Ax's playing solo on stage.  I was enraptured with the music and encourage you to enjoy the performance before the NY Philharmonic ends for the season, Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think