Sunday, January 21, 2024

J Gilkeson's Memoir THREE LOST WORLDS-Loss of My Time

Last night was both rainy and dreary while my beloved Packers played the Chargers, hometown favorites,  in the waterlogged Bay. I ventured out to hear Jim Gilkeson talk about his memoir to a paltry crowd of fewer than two dozen people (not your football fan group) about his spiritual leanings that went through three incantations. I went with an open mind but it shut down early. Gilkeson, a self-proclaimed master in healing through energy, shared his background in his monastic and evolving energy-fusion ventures. Was I somewhat cynical? Yes, I was very skeptical. I don't equate energy healers with medical or technical expertise. Nor do I buy into the whole "LAH LAH" mentality. That's not to say I wouldn't mind learning something new from a different point of view. Gilkeson's first world was in the monastic order which stationed him in Oakland, CA. This austere, minimalist lifestyle required rising at 4AM for prayer and then work at a paying job where the pay stays in the monastery's kitty as men in "The Holy Order of MANS" take an oath of poverty. The Holy Order set up to preach and teach daily regardless of having anyone in attendance which was most days the norm.  The moderator touted the meditation she garnered through Gilkeson's teachings changed her life. (But, not whether for the better which I think she may have intended to infer). She attributed her personality traits to her astrological sign Taurus and Gilkeson's to his sign, Sagittarius. This only served to confuse us (or at least me) as I don't imbue the stars or espouse bodily energy emitted as being credible. At this point the whole evening was regrettable and I went home in the rain and caught the last few minutes of the big game.  The Packers loss was the real shame and blasphemous here in the Bay, "aynah hey!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think