Sunday, November 17, 2019

TRIO Capriccio-Classical Program in Cloverdale

"It's easy to play any musical instrument:  all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." (J. S. Bach) One of the clever quotes on the program notes for TRIO CAPRICCIO at the Cloverdale Performing Art Center in Sonoma.  A Bach composition "Prelude Cello Suite #1" was on the program after the short break.  I didn't stay to hear it as I made a break for it.  This was my 1st time at this contemporary & intimate venue.  The house seats 100 and serves as a local musical & theatrical forum.  I didn't purchase the $25 open seating ticket beforehand assuming I could buy a ticket at the door.  I was when I got there they were sold out.  I said "That's great.  I'll try another time."  "Wait." said the congenial ostiary.  "Try the box office they 'may' have tickets".   It turns out tickets were available & there were vacant seats.  The 1st piece of the evening was "Merryton Townhall" by Purcell (1659-16950).  It's folk-song jig meant to be played molto allegro.  Here' where things went wrong.  The cellist played off-note and the 2nd violinist was flat.  "Sonate" in 4 movements by Handel (1685-1759) came next & was played more proficiently albeit somewhat off-key.  Still, the audience whose median age I estimated at 75 (and 40% asleep by intermission) voiced their pleasure by forte clapping between all 4 movements.  My favorite piece came next, "Duet in G Major" by Mozart (1756-1791) a duet for viola & violin.  Dr. Parthasarathi, the 2nd violinist, told us Mozart composed the duet while visiting family. The only instruments on hand were a viola & violin and he swiftly composed the duet.  Tingting Gu, the 1st violinist switched to viola for this piece.  Gu was born in China & studied at the Beijing Central Conservatory.  She spent 3 years with the Guanzho Symphony.  Gu came to the US in 2010 to attend the Thornton School of MUSIC at USC on full scholarship.  Her musical viruosity was remarkable.  Mozart's duet played in one movement was lovely and the applause was well deserved and well placed.  I note the disservice to harshly critique the talents of the cellist and the violinist but it's hard not to perceive the inequity amongst the musicians when performing with Gu who would be welcomed to join any major US Symphony.  I offer a rousing ovation to both Ms. Gu's playing and the Cloverdale Performing Art Center for enlisting such a gifted musician.  I urge the community to support the Art Center to encourage a flourishing cultural venue.  The reasonably priced tickets are a plus but there's no fuss with buying them at the door.  "Whoever is most impertinent has the best chance." (Mozart).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think