Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Jenny Erpenbeck and Nicole Krauss Read from their New Books at the 92ndY

From now on, when I read 92ndY READING SERIES I will know not to expect a discourse but a literal reading by the authors from their recent works.  I was disappointed when 1) the room was changed from the large, assigned seating in Kaufman Hall to the smaller, open seating room upstairs, and 2) when I noticed only a center podium indicating only one speaker (or reader) at a time.  Jenny Erpenbeck (b East Berlin) recipient of the Int'l Foreign Prize for THE END of DAYS, read a portion from her new novel GO, WENT, GONE.  Her intro came from an aspiring writer whose intro by her "friend" was written with a flourish meant to highlight her own writing skills & less about Ms Erpenbeck.  Nonetheless, Erpenbeck's reading with a German accent was captivating.  I was absorbed in her reading.  She writes with a humanizing lens of African migrants of war seeking refuge in Germany.  Nicole Krauss' (b Amer) GREAT HOUSE was a finalist for the Nat'l Book Award read from her novel FOREST DARK which I'm currently reading.  Her introduction was much shorter & directed to Krauss' achievements.  I found it interesting Krauss selected to read two sections that had stood out for me in the book.  There are 2 main voices, an Amer female author, wife and mother (semi-autobiographical) & an older, wealthy Amer man, recently divorced father of 3 in the midst of purging himself of his earthly possessions.  Their connection is their past/present history at the Hilton Hotel in Tel Aviv.  I enjoyed hearing Ms Krauss bring her own characters to life.   I plan to finish her novel & then read Erpenbeck's newest novel GO, WENT, GONE.  The days of my coming to further READING SERIES, however, have come & gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think