Thursday, December 1, 2016

NYPhil Rehearsal of Mozart's Music Had Many Stops and Starts under Maestro Bernard Labadie

The anticipated pleasure of listening to the NYPhilharmonic's all Mozart performance:  Symphony #31 in D and Flute Concerto #2 in D was distressing & atypical with the numerous fits & starts by guest conductor Bernard Labadie.  Labadie (b Canada 1963) was named the Artistic Dir of the Opera de Quebec (1994) and nominated at L'Opera de Montreal (2002.)  And while he has conducted the LA, Chicago, Boston, SF Orchestras & many more, I've never before heard a rehearsal requiring so many repetitive stops & restarts.  In Symphony #31, I counted a score of disruptions & instructions from Labadie.  I began to feel badly for the orchestra members.  Mozarts magnificient music was so chopped up and chewed out that many in the audience walked out.  The 3 movements moved at a snails pace and the dissatisfaction was palpable.   There was only a short pause between Symphony #31 & the Flute Concerto #2 probably due to the drawn out rehearsing of the Symphony.  Robert Langevin, principal flutist with the NY Philharmonic (2000) was stopped by the conductor & given several corrections.  I heard a very courteous Labadie thanking Langevin for rephrasing his playing but I'm just saying…I've never ever been to a rehearsal where the orchestra had so many pitfalls.  I felt pity for our illustrious NYPhilharmonic.  So did other patrons who walked out early.  I left at intermission.  I missed hearing Exsultate, jubilate K 165 and Symphony #39.  I was not exalted by the rehearsal which should have been a resounding jubilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think