Monday, July 25, 2016

Bruce Conner: It's All True @ MoMA - It's an Explosive Dud

The San Francisco based artist Bruce Conner (1933-2008) covered multi-media art forms including photography, film, sculpture, drawings & performance.  His penchant for the macabre especially war & death is overriding & oppressive in his body of work.  Of course, that's my feeling and although I believe any depiction of war is an anti-war statement.  Still, blame it on tempid, humid weather in NYC or the climate of hate in the world, I don't endorse forcing yourself to visit this historic, apocalyptic oevre of art.  For example, his compilation of photos "Black Dahlia" focuses on the grisly slaying of an LA based waitress.  The devise used here by Conner teeters on the voyueristic perspective making the viewer an accomplice.  His roughly 15 min video, a montage of newsreels combining war & soft-core pronography were not worth my time.  I felt the work itself felt dated  The still of nuclear bombs plumage(an iconic image) does maintain its hypnotic allure despite knowing its imminent destructive nature.  I'd rather not have seen this exhibit so my advise is not to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think