Monday, November 16, 2015

MTA Poetry: "What Do You Belive a Poem Shd Do?" REALLY?

MTA Poetry in Motion has always been cause for reflection.  However, Ntozake Shange (b. Amer 1969) poem "What Do You Believe a Poem Shd Do?" made me ask, Really - is this for real?  Here's the deal, if you have to explain the joke it's not funny.  If you have to explain how to respond to a poetry, what's the point?  Shange is a highly regarded poet, playwright & author.  She's a self-proclaimed black, feminist and this is all well & good.  Except, I'd like to note my own responses to poetry thank you and not have them spoonfed in didactic prose.  

       What do You Believe a Poem Shd Do?

quite simply a poem shd fill you up with something/
cd make you swoon, stop in yr tracks, change yr mind, or make it up.
a poem shd happen to you like cold water or a kiss.

This feels like a glass of cold water tossed in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think