Saturday, September 12, 2015

9/11 Yankees v Blue Jays 11-5 Loss Was a Disastrous Evening, Everywhere

The tragedy of 9/11 puts life in perspective.  The aftermath of that horrific day continue to impact our daily lives.  Sept. 11th is a somber day of reflection.  My subway ride to the Bronx was an auspicious start to a series of disastrous events.  As I boarded a car, 1 man was asking another to stop banging him with his back-pack.  Ironically, they were both beneath the courtesy campaign asking people to hold their backpacks.  The jerk with the bag just glared at the man & did not comply.  I fell into the fray by proximity.  I asked if he would please bring his bag down and pointed to the sign.  I got the same hostile, non-cooperative response.  "You touch that blade and you are going down hard," yelled the gentleman.  Two other men on the train immediately stepped in front of me and cut off the 2 men.  The  backpack wask was also wielding a switchblade in his pocket.  The wacko witht he knife exited at the next stop.  Lessons: a) be courteous b) be vigilant - it's not worth getting into a violent melee.  Shaken by this incident, I cooled off before getting inside Yankee Stadium.  It took 30 min. to enter; everyone's bags were inspected, computers taken (for the duration) and everyone sent through scanners.  I just reached my seat at the bottom of the 1st, 1 of the worst; Yanks gave up 5 runs. The Blue Jays 1st batter hit a double.  A few pitches later, Severno fell to his knees; literally.  He got up to finish the inning but it was the beginning of the end.  "My location with my fastball wasn't there," said Severno.  The stress was felt by a man in the stands who fainted & was carried out by paramedics.  Sept. 11th is a day we will never forget.  The night will be remembered by me with dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think