Sunday, May 31, 2015

Pulitzer Prize Play THE FLICK Felt Like Purgatory

Quickly let me say this is an overlong, laborious play to sit through.  The 1st act was almost 2 hours and the 2nd act after itermission was an 1 hr. 15 min.  That's what the billboard said but I was gone in a split at the break so I'm not sure.  I admit not having the diligence to submit myself the rest of Annie Baker's Pulizer Prize winning drama ('13.)  However, there is plenty to be said for the incredible acting and mournful ambience shed on the underbelly of society's detritus.  Sam, Avery & Rose are 3 social misfits working at a rundown movie house that still shows 35 mm movies.  The 3 are aware that the theater becoming obsolete and how despairingly miscast & lonely their lives have become.  Sam is much older than both Avery & Rose and has been there the longest.  He was not promoted to projectionist; Rose was given the position.  Sam trains Avery in how to clean up the trash & debris so thoughtlessly left by patrons.  The 2 form a companionable working relationship.  Rose ingratiates herself into a triangular relatioship dynamic as she is drawn to Avery.  The blinding light from the projection, along with long pauses & desultory conversation while working makes for a very uncomfortable feeling of being trapped in purgatory.  I congratulate the actors and the pathetic sympathies the playwright has evoked.  I also applaud those who have the assiduousness to remain inhouse for the entirety of this lugubrious drama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think