Thursday, March 19, 2015

NY Phil Rehearsal-Strauss Suite & Salonen Nyx (2010)

Conductor Alan Gilbert who announced his departure from the NY Phil. recently, conducted the Philh. in a program consisting of Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier Suite  (1910) & Salonen's Nyx (2010.)  Also on the program was Ravel's piano Concerto in G Major (1930) and Debussy Jeux:  Poeme dans (1913.)  For those able to take advantage of the bargain priced rehearsals, the relaxed atmosphere & starts/stops are no surprise.  Rehearsals don't necessarily follow the order on the programs printed on the formal programs.  (I do suggest that the with the introduction to shut off cell phones, an annoucement be made of the order the pieces will be performed.)  I was able to make an educated (& correct guess) as to what was played 1st:  Strauss.  Listening to the the full orchestra (sans piano i.e. not Ravel) I discerned recognizable musical interludes associated with Strauss.  However, I also perceived more contemporary sounding movements attributed to symphonies of the late 20th C.  I find it more rewarding when listening to opera, not to focus on the context but rather the musicality of the human voice.  Not being informed that Der Rosenkavalier Suite was the 1st piece rehearsed allowed me to attune more fully to the variations in the music.  I did not stay to hear Salonen's Nyx composed 100 years later or Ravel's Piano Concerto (darn.)  The open rehearsals offer a lot of great music for only $20.  This concert I will return to hear the performance in its entirety as I fully recommend to fellow classical music lovers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think