Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Jazz Music of Harlem @ Linc Ctr Atrium-Cool Free Jazz

Last night the Julliard Jazz Ensemble presented the Uptown Sound:  Jazz Music of Harlem in the Linc. Ctr. Atrium.  The performance scheduled @ 7:30PM was free; seating on a 1st come basis.  Silly me, I got there at 7:10PM thinking I'd be early only to find a long que waiting outside. The gentlemen explained to the crowd of close to 100, "We would be allowed in as people left.  The atrium was at maximum capacity.  It may not be possible to get everyone inside & then it would be standing room only."  Since the ensemble was scheduled for 7:30PM, I reasoned it unlikely I would be let inside.  Why leave a free performance when you're already there?  I figured, I'd wait outside on this mild summer night & read the papers I came prepared to read (inside) waiting for the show.  Slowly, the line crept forward.  At 8:00PM (my cut-off & go home time) I was let in with a doz. other people in line.  Once inside it was standing room only-so I sat on the floor.  The Julliard Jazz Ensemble conducted by an "Aussie" on trumpet, had a terrific band: drummer, bass player & Jordyn (a Julliard alumni) on saxophone.  The ensemble put on a lively jazz concert of NYC's composers.  The dazzling program featured music by jazz legends: Ellington, Strayhorn, Sampson & more.  This was a wonderful celebration of music & NYC.  Next time I'll come earlier.  The UWS Neighborhood knows great entertainment, free of charge.   Go on line for free performances at the Rubenstein Atrium @ Linc. Ctr.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think