Thursday, May 8, 2014

IF/THEN, the road not taken went on forever

The musical IF/THEN is a very slippery, sliding doors storyline.  The play centers around Elizabeth (Idinia Menzel) whose 2 life scenarios are played out as Beth, a city planner who pines for her married boss or as Liz, who takes a chance on love with Josh, an army medic who just returned from his tour of duty, still dressed in fatigues.  To simplify things:  Beth's path finds solace with her platonic friendships & successful corporate career.  Liz's choices leads to a happy marriage to Josh & 2 young sons, until Josh is called back to military service & killed.  Oh sorry, was that a buzz kill?  It doesn't matter, you will be swathed in cloying cliches unitl you're smothered.  I was confused at times which scenario I was watching.  Perhaps, IF I had cared more THEN I might have been better focused.  Menzel is an engaging actress with a beautiful voice.  But, every number is delivered at the identical, show stopping decibel.  IF I had known THEN what I know now, I would have chosen another show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think