Friday, March 14, 2014

French Film "On My Way" - Stay Away (avec Catherine DeNeuve)

The French Film, "On My Way," has Catherine DeNeuve going for it.   Otherwise, this is a c'est la vie cinematic bore.  DeNeuve, is a national Frenceh treasure who gained int'l fame from Belle de Jour (1966.)  Bettie (DeNeuve) is an older woman and former beauty queen whose life is in shatters.  Bettie lives & works with her overbearing mother in their rundown bistro that is barely staying afloat.  Bettie  lives in the same provincial town she's always lived.  Her young husband died choking on a chicken bone.  Her great love in life was not her husband or estranged daughter, but a young lover who died in a car accident when they were together.  Her current lover has just jilted her & his wife for a 25 year old pregnant girlfriend.   This is just more than she can stand & impetuously drives away leaving her mother to worry & manage the restaurant.   Meanwhile, her daughter contacts her to beg help with her son, Charly, so she can pursue a job opportunity.  Charly is a volatile pre-teen which makes for a odd duo "hitting the road." Kudos to DeNeuve for playing an aging former beauty with courage & sensitivity.  Otherwise, this is droll pretentious French cinema is weighed down with lots of talking, eating & promiscuity that the French love and non-Francophiles reason to detest the French.   Family & friends gather round the charming outdoor table for wining, dining & singing "I miss my lost years."  I miss my 2 hours.  Rent Belle de Jour with the young & glamorous DeNeuve or see Belle in Disney's Beauty & the Beast.  My advise, steer clear of "On My Way."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think