Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Night with Janis Joplin, Must Make Amends

Come on! Come on!  You've go to be kidding me, the lead role of Joplin @ the Wed. matinee was performed by the understudy.  You're breaking my heart now baby.  My desire to see the show was because I saw a piece of Mary Bridget Davies' performance from the show.  Davies was Joplin reincarnated with that unique gravely sound.  Davies even resembled Joplin.  The understudy looked like Mayim Bialik and had no semblence of Joplin's enthralling pipes.  At times it was impossible to see the performers as the stage lights flashed blindingly into the audience.  The band's volume was also uncomfortably loud, perhaps to cover the disparity in the quality of the voices.  I am going to take this show apart piece by piece now baby.  Janis' own life story was uninteresting.  More time was spent paying tribute to the female blues singers whose music impacted her. Etta James, Bessie Smith and Aretha Franklin were a few she paid homage.  Unfortunately, Aretha Franklin in no way resembled or sounded like the famous singer.  It might have added some spark to this mess.  Even Franklin's microphone didn't work.  One of her backup singers had to switch mikes with her on stage.  Janis spouted spiritual dribble directly meant to empower but it all fell flat.  Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose…I want reparation for my $90 wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, let me know what you think